10.29.2010

Termination

There sometimes comes this time in counseling where things will change between you and a client. There comes the end. We refer to this in the counseling world as "Termination" . I sometimes wish there was a better word to describe this event. Termination sounds so harsh, so final, so not warm & fuzzy.
Sometimes clients choose when to end counseling. Other times situations in their lives determine when the end is. I know that one can't be in counseling forever but i wonder when is it ever "The Right Time" to end?
The program I am in here at RTS uses a "Relational Model" which I am all about except that with this model comes enduring pain and loss. I am taught to build a relationship with my clients, to do relationship in the room so that healing can happen. The problem is that I really do. Relationship really does happen I get attached to them I learn about their stories. Sometimes I laugh with Clients, other times I cry with Clients. We really do RELATIONSHIP in those rooms. In fact, the other day a classmate shared with a look of sadness that a client had terminated. Seeing the sadness on my classmates face meant that they had let relationship happen as well. I guess we really are at some level attached to those we sit with.
So because we do relationship with Clients then when they leave it hurts like in a real relationship. I didn't know that this would happen no one told me I would miss clients. BUT I DO. There are some clients that I miss sitting with, I wonder about them, I wonder how life is going for them. In relationships like my family or friends, when our time together has ended I can call them up, shot them a e-mail, or make plans to see them again someday. But with Clients I don't have that opportunity.
I just am left with wonder and hope for their lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment