12.28.2009

Christmas thoughts





So we have been in MN about a week now. I have meant to blog more but didn't have the right words. I don't know if I have the right words now but I think I will write some. So we arrived last tuesday and my brother and his family arrived later that night. Then we spent the next day just chilling around the Oman house. Christmas eve day traveled to Willmar to be with my mom's side of the family. The Leonard side. We got to see my grandma at her nursing home along with other family members. We ate so much food which is what we do best. Then Christmas morning opened gifts in our hotel room and went for a quick swim in the heated pool at the hotel we were staying at. Then headed over to see grandma where we spent the day with her and family again.
I have mixed feelings as this Christmas season surrounds me. At times the amount of togetherness seems a lot ... and at times it doesn't seem like enough. Being with my grandma I realized she has gotten older than the last time I saw her. She is doing quite well for 89 but acts different than when i say her last at 87. Being in a Nursing home made me realize again how much I do enjoy older people. In case you didn't know this, when I was in high school me and a few friends started visiting people at the nursing home in our town we went every week I ended be-friending one lady and built quite the relationship with her. Those memories came to me again while sitting at my grandmas nursing home. I wonder will my family still get together as much after when my grandma passes? will we go to Willmar? is this place going to be just a place I went to many years ago? It was so good to see my grandma but hard.
Now we have returned to my cousin's side of the family, the Omans. It's been quite a bit of fun, there are 11 adults and 3 kids under the age of 2. So it makes for an exciting place to be. Loud, laughter, and kids screaming is what fills the air.
But I am finding that at times life seems overwhelming this month has been quite a lot. I so enjoy everything I have gotten to do and people I have seen but yet I feel many things that I don't know how to explain. Ever have days or weeks that you can't really explain? well I am finding that this happens now more than I like. The holidays can be and are quite fun, but something aches within me and stings a little.

We just went for walk in the snow. There is something about doing something that you only do in certain places, like walking in the snow, I only do that here in MN. I love the sound of snow crunching under your feet. I love the sound of my cousin laughing. I love that snow in MN reminds me good things. I sure do love my family and am so glad for their love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment